[Server-devel] serious Raspbian WiFi flaw discovered: works for 10SEC then cycles OFF/ON

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jan 2 03:19:22 EST 2018

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 06:57:43AM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> We need to report this to the Raspberry Pi Foundation to see if they can
> >> fix it -- WiFi connections are repeatedly failing, sometimes even very soon
> >> after booting, profoundly affecting Internet-in-a-Box 6.5 !
> >>
> >> But first a big Thanks In Advance to all who can reproduce this & offer
> >> your own experiences/perspectives prior to Thursday's [*] call:
> >>
> >>    http://minutes.iiab.io
> >>
> >> Here are 2 (known) ways to reproduce the WiFi bug with near certainty:
> >>
> >>    https://github.com/iiab/iiab/issues/638#issuecomment-354639673
> >

> > CLARIF: I do *not* mean to blame Raspbian, as we seek a solution here!!
> >
> > At this this point it's entirely possible the underlying/root cause is
> > dhcpcd...and/or even RPi3 firmware / WiFi module etc?
>
> Is it reproducible with upstream kernel/firmware on something like an
> up to date Fedora install, there was some new firmware pushed upstream
> that fixed some CVEs in the Broadcom firmware (CVE-2016-0801,
> CVE-2017-0561, CVE-2017-9417), I'm not sure which firmware's were
> affected/updated but it might be worth checking to see if it's fixed
> on other distros that are closer to upstream.

Agreed.  Well worth a try with Fedora.  Raspbian is a long way behind,
so it is not easy to test recent fixes.

Most recent data from Adam; his Raspberry Pi is being connected by
wireless to one router with IP of 192.168.0.1, then connected by
ethernet to a physically different router with same IP of 192.168.0.1.

I'm thinking that's an exciting and interesting thing to do, and I'm
fascinated to learn how it will pan out.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/