[Server-devel] Provisioning services

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Apr 29 13:29:08 EDT 2018

Greetings!
I haven't written to this list in a while.

I am working with some other OLPC-SF members to package and make
available Pathagar using the snaps (http://snapcraft.io platform). We
are currently doing this as part of a two-day hackathon
(http://hackathon.sfsu.edu/challenges/snap-ify-pathagar).

Of course, the work continues past this hackathon, but let's see how
far we can get today. Right now, we are using the NextCloud snap
(https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap) as a base example and
adding/removing to it to see if we can put together a snap.

If you haven't used snaps before, try it out the NextCloud snap. On
Ubuntu/Debian, try "sudo snap install nextcloud" Give it a few
minutes, and when installed go to http://<youripaddress> and it should
be there.

Our proposal and approach is to first do this with Pathagar, and then
see if we can do this with all the other services on the school
server. This will give deploymentw a menu approach to adding services
without worrying about dependencies and cross-contamination and such.
It's a little bit more work to architect services that do talk to each
other, but we think that in the end it's a much cleaner solution.

Ideas? Comments?

Please let us know. Andi Gros, Aaron Borden and myself are working on
this currently.

cheers,
Sameer
--