[Server-devel] do RPi 3 B+ still need heat sinks?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Apr 3 10:33:12 EDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 12:36 PM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 10:44 AM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>> 1) Recap from 2016: heatsinks on the original RPi3 CPU are not a cure-all
>> when the RPi 3 is enclosed in a case that lacks ventilation on a hot day.
>> But CPU heatsinks Do Work when taking the plastic top off the of the
>> original RPi 3.  The CPU throttling problem "immediately" goes away on such
>> hot days...bringing the temperature back down below 80C...as measured by
>> the command:
>>
>>    *vcgencmd measure_temp*
>>
>> 2) It's snowing today right outside my window, so I can't easily simulate
>> a hot summer's day -- but can others who live in hot environments report
>> back their readings above, when running the new RPi3 B+ in various
>> conditions?
>>
>>    - *With heatsink on CPU -- and without?*
>>    - *With motherboard fully enclose by a case -- and without?*
>>

> My own results, with all 4 CPU's unloaded, in a chilly room:

 RPi 3 with-heatsink-on-CPU / RPi 3 B+ / RPi 3 B+ with-heatsink-on-CPU
44-46C / 46-48C / 45-47C case's plastic top removed (w/o wind or active
ventilation)
46-49C / 48-51C / 48-52C case's plastic top attached (contains 100+ small
holes on 1 end, allowing very little ventilation)

After I ran "*yes > /dev/null &*" 4 times, to fully load all 4 cores of the
> CPU:

 RPi 3 with-heatsink-on-CPU / RPi 3 B+ / RPi 3 B+ with-heatsink-on-CPU
80-82C / 70-71C / 71-72C case's plastic top removed (w/o wind or active
ventilation)
82-84C / 75-78C / 79-82C case's plastic top attached (contains 100+ small
holes on 1 end, allowing very little ventilation)

*RESULT: attaching a heatsink to the RPi 3 B+ CPU does not help.  It might
even make things a bit worse, hmm.*
In any case: this result is completely different the original RPi 3 (where
past experiments have shown that a heatsink-on-CPU greatly lowers its
temperature, When The Case Is Open!)