[Server-devel] Internet-in-a-Box 6.3 PRE-RELEASE installs w/o a hitch onto Raspbian!

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Jun 13 06:28:06 EDT 2017

George Hunt loudly curses my name every day when he remembers he gave up a
comfortable retirement on the gold course to... *write software for
children + medical students in emerging countries instead ???*

But the communities in the Dominican Republic and Haiti love him
nonetheless, as in coming weeks they will receive the product of his epic
work...

Thanks in no small part to Tim Moody & Josh Dennis pulling off a very
challenging refactoring over the past weeks, rebasing a decade's worth of
code into far-more future-proof repositories, under our new
"Internet-in-a-Box" name ( http://github.com/iiab !)

*So for those who now want a sneak preview install on Raspbian Pixel or
Raspbian Lite immediately, our 1-line installer is:*
   curl download.iiab.io/6.3/rpi/load.txt | bash

For me this completes in 1.5 hours, essentially flawlessly bringing us all
a very powerful new version of Kiwix -- but do let us know what works for
you!  And just for fun, read the instructions here too, so you learn
from+with others:

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/IIAB/6.3

Know Issues:

   - your offline documentation (http://box/info) has a couple glitches
   we'll be working on in coming weeks
   - some commands within /usr/bin have not yet been convert from prefix
   "xs-" to prefix "iiab-"
   - a reboot is needed after installation, if you want OpenVPN to work

PS final release date is undecided, but hopefully this will happen well
within the coming weeks!  There is so much to offer from our repertoire of
rapid community action / deployment efficiencies (even an
smartphone-friendly "Instant Off" button requested by medical clinics!)
But much more about our rising UX focus in coming weeks, as we write up our
release notes~  FYI far cleaner TeamViewer integration onto Raspbian, as
summarized here within http://FAQ.IIAB.IO here is another transformational
step forward allowing churches & small NGO's (even sometimes Peace Corps
voluntters in the field etc) to *co-develop their community's very own
Internet-in-a-Box*, even while separated by large distances:

   FAQ #21 How can I remotely manage my Internet-in-a-Box?
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/IIAB/FAQ#How_can_I_remotely_manage_my_Internet-in-a-Box.3F>