[Server-devel] install Internet-in-a-Box 6.3 master in ~45min (onto RPi 3)

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat Jul 1 22:57:50 EDT 2017

I'm well aware XSCE's traditional multi-hour Ansible-based installation
process traditionally drove many people Completely And Totally Insane, like
Babe Ruth who hit home runs like magic, but whose weight slowed him down as
the years wore on...

So as we transition to a new name (Internet-in-a-Box) and many new
community uses (e.g. IIAB was recently installed in medical clinics in the
Dominican Republic) I want to experiment with a much faster 1-line
installer (some are wisely impatient for base hits instead of home runs ;)
and so here is a slimmed-down set of 10 server apps(*) that almost anybody
can install it on a Raspberry Pi 3 within about 45 minutes, simply by
running:

   curl http://download.iiab.io/6.3/rpi/load-lite.txt | bash

With this slimmed-down approach, you can simply fire off the above command,
go eat dinner, and return in time to start installing content.

And as a special bonus: this lightweight install greatly empowers engineers
in Haiti who don't have multi-megabit-per-second connections.  They are now
able to keep up with our development process, even with more feeble
Internet connections that often cannot sustain 1megabit/second -- so long
as we all tighten our belts staying lightweight/agile where we can --
towards embracing very real-time community "fieldback" interactions across
cities in the developing world.

(*) finally, the 10 server apps I've chosen are listed herein:

   http://download.iiab.io/6.3/rpi/local_vars_lite.yml

REMINDER: install https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ (either
version) onto your Raspberry Pi 3 before you "sudo su -" (to change to
root) and then start the curl command above!

PS do read http://FAQ.iiab.io along the way, to get familiar with all the
great downloadable content options that are available to you after
install.  *(Particularly if you have a fast connection, and a librarian's
instinct, to elegantly assemble the very best open content within your own
Internet-in-a-Box.  Otherwise you'll need to sideload rich content from a
friend's HDD / USB / SD, e.g. ZIM files, KA Lite videos, OpenStreetMap
tiles etc.  Either way: let us know how it goes, and don't hesitate to post
to http://iiab.io <http://iiab.io> any larger/smaller questions!)*