[Server-devel] How can I delete 10 years of git history in the XSCE repo?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jan 19 17:03:18 EST 2017

Adam Holt wrote:
> James Cameron wrote:
> > George Hunt wrote:
> > > The XSCE repo, inherited from laptop.org has grown to 80MB+.
> >
> >    Yes, but what problem are you trying to solve?
>
> Preliminary Repo Re-org document here [...]
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wY2AwSfr0w712FhL9VY51Tpf9E39cBnOclVPU7_yzeg/edit

Thanks.  Reviewed.  Doesn't answer my question.  Reorganisation there
has nothing significant to do with the size of the repository.

With that degree of reorganisation it may be better to start with
fresh repositories.  History of change can still be found in the old
repository.

I've not been watching the difficulties of your multiple committers,
but my assessment, based on limited information (server-devel@ and the
xsce/xsce.git commit log merge commits), is that your situation can be
improved another way; ensure each contributor is able and willing to
squash, interactive rebase, and resolve any kind of git-conflicts,
using the best tools for the job.

At Sugar Labs the Google Code-In just finished had quite a few
contributors who had difficulty with these steps.  Contributors vary
considerably in their willingness to engage at that level.  Your
reorganisation looks like it will avoid conflict by avoiding
collaboration.  On the other hand, if that is the group's decision,
then go for it.

Nadia Eghbal's keynote talk yesterday at linux.conf.au is really
relevant.  Nadia is in Community Programs at GitHub.  GitHub is the
closed-source system you're using for contributor collaboration.

https://linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/106/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2AR1owg0ao

Hope that helps!

--