[Server-devel] How can I delete 10 years of git history in the XSCE repo?

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 23:13:38 EST 2017

The XSCE repo, inherited from laptop.org has grown to 80MB+.
Recently, then the raspberry pi3 came out, as an experiment, I started
a branch off or XSCE, which was initially aimed at a quick and dirty
demo that our code could run on top of raspbian.

Later, when that demonstration, seemed successful, I circled back and
modified the new branch so that it would also work on top of CentOS,
and Debian.

Now, I'd like to chop off the history at the point where of our last
major release, and create a new truncated repo.

I found a recipe in the middle of the page at:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4515580/how-do-i-remove-the-old-history-from-a-git-repository

#!/bin/bash
git checkout --orphan temp <last major release>
git commit -m "Truncated history"
git rebase --onto temp $1 <mybranch>
git branch -D temp

What I encountered was a huge number of conflicts, during the rebase step
which I did not understand, and seemed too error prone to continue

What's wanted is a repo that includes all of the commits starting from
https:/github.com/xsce/xsce --branch release-6.0 and including all of
the commits on https://github.com/georgejhunt/xsce --branch base-6.2.