[Server-devel] shutdown/bootup snafus+delays itemized (IIAB/XSCE Raspian on RPi3)

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun Feb 26 14:28:56 EST 2017

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> Documenting these so that we can tease out which matter (and which don't!)
> in the coming days especially, with so many of us meeting in Southern
> California for https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/15x this week:
>
> [  OK  ] Remove slice system-systemd\x2drfkill.slice.   *<<< Hangs for
> about 75-80 SEC here, during every shutdown.*
>
> Then on bootup: (on-screen & logged to /var/log/boot.log)
>
> [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
> See 'systemctl status-modules-load.service' for details.
> [DEPEND] Dependency failed for netfilter persistent configuration.
> [  ***  ] A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interfaces. (1min
> 14s / no limit).   *<<< Hangs for about 45-to-75 SEC here, during every
> bootup.*
> [FAILED] Failed to start A distributed, fault-tolerant Jabber/XMPP server.
> See 'systemctl status ejabberd-xs.service' for details.
> [  OK  ] Started OpenVPN service.
> [FAILED] Failed to start Provides xsce-prep.
>
> Clarif: this is the full Raspbian Pixel (incl desktop apps) on RPi3, after
> I successfully (earlier today) ran "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade;
> apt-get autoclean; apt-get autoremove"

Clarif #2: this RPi3 is connected to the Internet via Ethernet.

Clarif #3: This most recent Shutdown/Reboot tests was run almost 10 times
over the past 2 hours, by typing "reboot" at the prompt, as root.  Also,
just to confirm, the same reboot was confirmed a couple times from
IIAX/XSCE's Admin Console(*).

Conclusion: apt-get or "cd /opt/schoolserver/xsce; git pull" similar must
have applied some changes in recent days, as the shutdowns have now
reverted to the Linux-style stream of small messages scrolling up the
screen.  Until today, the shutdown screen was entirely different (a black
screen with a single short message at a time in the bottom-left, in a
fancier white font, such as the notorious "*Deconfiguring network
interfaces*").  Shutdown still takes almost-80-seconds longer than it
should, regardless if "*Remove slice system-systemd\x2drfkill.**slice.*" is
a more meaningful/specific hint as to what's going on?

(*) Earlier tests last week had generally been triggered by the "REBOOT
Server" button within IIAB/XSCE's Admin Console (http://box/admin).  Still
this seems to make no difference at all (how reboots are triggered, from
the command line or from IIAB/XSCE's Admin Console).