[Server-devel] Internet-in-a-Box/XSCE 6.2 Security Rec's (DRAFT!)

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Wed Feb 22 16:34:50 EST 2017

Hopefully this can be included in our OFFLINE tech support repo (*) after a
few more improvements here:

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/Security

(*) George Hunt initiated our offline collection http://box/info which will
soon include Internet-in-a-Box's best IT/installer docs, illustrations &
videos for remote operators...taking our "offlining mission" to heart,
dogfooding with our own publications, Yes!  From
https://github.com/xsce/xsce/wiki and http://schoolserver.org/faq and Nick
Doiron's implementer schematics @
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1MMg5Wt3srDZgsAZxkLpLdMLhiCy4F02URY_cjAIJFp0/edit
etc.

Longer term as 2020 approaches, we can no longer go without succinct
privacy/security assistance for impoverished offline schools, libraries &
clinics who don't have time to think about the security threats approaching
them year-by-year.  One stop-shopping is all they afford, If That ;)
Foundational or inter-governmental support can and must be found to do this
properly in coming years, so the developing world is not left blind, as has
happened too many times in the past.

Meantime, we can nudge the grassroots to develop stronger internal
knowledge + practices + policies around what IS at risk Even In The Offline
World (and what is not, as Paranoia FUD serve nobody, particularly when
electricity/food/meds are lacking already.  On the bright side,
organizational immune systems we can all learn from, recovering when things
inevitably go wrong for countless internal/external/online/offline
(non)tech reasons, something we can broadly knowledge-share between rich
world and developing world.  As digital security snafus hauntingly become
"par-for-the-course" in overstretched organizations almost everywhere.

A shining example among many Internet-in-a-Box (IIAB/XSCE) communities is
Goodwill Community Foundation's amazing offline IT training materials they
love, also making great strides explaining some basic civic actionism
around digital security.  Almost like "Sex Ed for the Internet" it
eventually has to be talked about...if we're to make any progress at all :)

   http://www.gcflearnfree.org/internetsafety/
   http://www.gcflearnfree.org/internetsafetyforkids/

*Thanks for your tips John Gilmore, Tim Moody, Samuel Greenfeld & All!*

Any suggestions for the informal advisory document atop/above especially
*.*