[Server-devel] [XSCE] Linking (WiFi) SIP telephony and GSM networks

Anish Mangal anishmg at umich.edu
Fri Feb 17 23:25:16 EST 2017

Another update. Thanks to awesome work by Terry Gillett, I have the same
thing working now just on a tiny AR150 wireless router. This means, among
other things:
1. You can have a WiFi+GSM telephone network just with mesh nodes - no
schoolserver needed.
2. If you have a schoolserver, you can benefit from the additional features
like voice mailbox. However, you need not have the dongle plugged into the
schoolserver anymore. the dongle can be plugged into a mesh node which can
be far away from the schoolserver, and there will be an asterisk trunk
(over WiFi) between that mesh node and the schoolserver. This is useful
since in a village community that doesnt have mobile connectivity, you
would typically place the schoolserver centrally in the village, while the
mesh nodes which are physically, and power-footprint wise tiny, and much
more durable (in terms of temperatures they can handle) can be far away (in
an area where there is GSM connectivity).

We are still doing multiple tests around this to figure out quality of
service, etc., but the PoC works.

--
Anish