[Server-devel] Rpi3 wifi boost hack

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Sep 27 00:05:36 EDT 2016

Thanks, that's interesting.

The disclaimers are correct.

I've inspected an rpi3 just now, and as the author observed the U.FL
pads are not fully clear of mask; my guess is they were set up for
testing only, not production.

I'm licensed to make this sort of change, but I'd only do it if I'd
exhausted other link budget possibilities.  I'm not offering.

If anyone does this, use a spectrum analyser to verify success, and
especially avoid generating out-of-band interference.  And use more
flux, and a board preheat.  ;-)

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 09:13:43AM +0530, Anish Mangal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I came across this. Apparently, it may be possible to connect external antennas
> to the rpi3. This will allow the pi3 wifi to have much better sensitivity (and
> thus provide wider & customizable wifi coverage) for a little extra expense.
>
> [1]http://www.dorkbotpdx.org/blog/wramsdell/external_
> antenna_modifications_for_the_raspberry_pi_3
>
> Cheers,
> Anish

> [1] http://www.dorkbotpdx.org/blog/wramsdell/external_antenna_modifications_for_the_raspberry_pi_3

James Cameron