[Server-devel] "Gigabyte BRIX more scalable than Intel NUC"

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Sep 5 10:25:09 EDT 2016

On Terry's recommendation to look at replaceable WiFi modules that can
serve "almost 50 kids", my current interest is to explore the $279.99
Gigabyte BRIX GB-BSi3H-6100:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5691

If we go with the above CPU/chassis -- or anything similar folks recommend
-- which WiFi module (PCIe M.2 presumably) to consider for maximum
community support isn't an easy question of course: any recommendations for
Linux support?

Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy support would be an Optional Bonus, as we have a
long-term desire to provide teacher smartphones' full control over their
"personal" school server.

PS the above unit comes with an "IntelĀ® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165" which
we'll throw out as nec!  Or perhaps it suffices among the smallest
installations, with only 12 simultaneous WiFi connections?

Thanks to anybody who can contribute to this R&D discussion/evaluation, as
Intel NUC's soldered-down internal WiFi (likewise limited to 12 WiFi
connections) has in the end become too constricting~