[Server-devel] [XSCE] Proposal | SIP VoIP server on XSCE

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat Oct 15 16:02:25 EDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Anish Mangal <anishmg at umich.edu> wrote:
> Following from:
> http://www.en.voipforo.com/IAX/IAXvsSIP.php
>
> If SIP is using a server signaling messages always pass through the server
> but audio messages (RTP flow) can travel end to end without passing through
> the server. In IAX, signaling and data must pass always through IAX server.
> This increases the bandwidth need by the IAX servers when there are many
> simultaneous calls.
>

> This is a big drawback of IAX it seems, especially in a mesh setup, where in
> many cases, the available bandwidth between clients may be higher via direct
> node routes compared with the bandwidth via the server route. It seems SIP
> will utilize the network more efficiently in a mesh topology.
>
> Yesterday we were testing this on the server, and two nodes with three
> client. The data was being sent directly client -- node -- node -- client,
> and virtually no bandwidth was being used on the server. :)

Not always the case. One of my students worked on her thesis where she
set up a bunch of XO-1 laptops over a 802.11s (draft) mesh and tested
simultaneous calls to look for saturation, etc.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0gszp4447j1g2qn/AAAxdUv_tNbstjzmD6BI1-jla/tilila-moujahid-thesis.pdf?dl=0

I'll see if I can find the actual thesis.

Sameer