[Server-devel] [XSCE] Proposal | SIP VoIP server on XSCE

Anish Mangal anishmg at umich.edu
Fri Oct 14 20:12:07 EDT 2016

Following from:
http://www.en.voipforo.com/IAX/IAXvsSIP.php

*If SIP is using a server* signaling messages always pass through the
server but *audio messages (RTP flow) can travel end to end without passing
through the server. In IAX, signaling and data must pass always through IAX
server. *This increases the bandwidth need by the IAX servers when there
are many simultaneous calls.

This is a big drawback of IAX it seems, especially in a mesh setup, where
in many cases, the available bandwidth between clients may be higher via
direct node routes compared with the bandwidth via the server route. It
seems SIP will utilize the network more efficiently in a mesh topology.

Yesterday we were testing this on the server, and two nodes with three
client. The data was being sent directly client -- node -- node -- client,
and virtually no bandwidth was being used on the server. :)

--
Anish