[Server-devel] Facebook's new remote hotspot / "network in a box"

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Wed Jul 6 15:53:21 EDT 2016

Where "OpenCellular" presumably means something a bit more than
anti-Android ;)

Introducing OpenCellular: An open source wireless access platform
https://code.facebook.com/posts/1754757044806180/

Good thing GSM-like rural technologies like OpenBTS are finally being taken
seriously??  Anyway FB/OpenCellular promises to work with giant/sudden
telco consortium https://telecominfraproject.com (TIP) to move 5G and
similar deeper into the wilderness, as 2020 comes and goes...

If so, it's a refreshing/honest honest admission that
drones/balloons/satellites remain PR spin to capture Sci-Fi headlines,
while terrestrial radio's last-miles continues to grow and grow.  So
OpenCellular might be yet another hype-filled trial balloon, but fyi until
we know more:

"We aim to work with Telecom Infra Project (TIP) members to build an active
open source community around cellular access technology development and to
select trial locations for further validation of technical, functional, and
operational aspects of the platform."

"The hardware was designed with simplicity in mind, to encourage people to
deploy their own cellular networks. Many people might not realize that
running their own cellular networks is not only possible but also doesn’t
require substantial technical expertise."

"The first implementation of our platform will be available this summer."

"We also aim to contribute OpenCellular to TIP so everyone in the ecosystem
can benefit from this technology. Our goal is to build an active open
source community around cellular access technology development."

opencellular at fb.com