[Server-devel] [XSCE] CentOS 7 quirk: VGA cable not re-attachable

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Aug 29 18:59:24 EDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 5:50 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> Only tested one monitor?  Try another; the EDID communication path
> over VGA could have problems, or the data in monitor Flash unusual.

I tried a different brand of LCD monitor, and the problem remains:

Fedora 22 NUC allows re-attaching of the VGA cable every time, whereas both
CentOS NUC's are highly intermittent (the VGA cable fails to show any video
upon re-attachment, the vast majority of the time).

In hindsight, the other LCD monitor (tested across all 3 NUC's) behaves
very much the same way.  Perhaps 10% of the time (or less) video
re-appears, sometimes triggered by starting/leaving X Windows using
Ctrl-Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or running "reboot" from ssh, on any machine
that was running X Windows at the time, causing video to suddenly re-appear
during the shutdown process) but regrettably on both CentOS 7 NUC's
(NUC6i3SYH & D34010WYKH) I haven't found any repeatable pattern that
permits video to be usefully restored (without a full reboot!)

PS Problem occurs independent of CentOS 7 NUC's that are running X Windows
and those that are not.  I mention X Windows only because leaving X /
re-entering X seems to (sometimes) facilitate recovery of the video signal
in certain not-quite-repeatable situations.

Also check age of monitor.  Mix not old and new wineskins.

The earlier test monitor's from the prior decade it's true, but this newer
test from a much more recent vintage ;)