[Server-devel] are NUC5i3RYH & NUC6i3SYH really limited to 12 WiFi clients??

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun Aug 28 11:26:09 EDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 12:55 AM, Anish Mangal <anishmg at umich.edu> wrote:

> FWIW, on an older 2nd gen NUC I also see max 10-12 connections on the
> WiFi. I dont know if I have tried the latest kernel on that, so your
> finding is atleast consistent with older gen NUCs.

FYI Kernel 4.4.14 (Fedora 22's latest upon yum update) is no better:
12 simultaneous WiFi connections is still the maximum we're able to sustain
from random OS's to NUC6i3SYH's internal WiFi (*)

Sadly the latest WiFi driver from Intel also does not help: (for 6i3's
internal WiFi "IntelĀ® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260")
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005511.html
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/_media/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi-8000-ucode-25.30.13.0.tgz

(*) Curious Anomaly: Android WiFi connections made within the "first 12
WiFi connections" can hold on to their DHCP/WiFi connections, remaining
active and usable as 13th and 14th connections etc, as other laptops
connect, *until they disconnect from WiFi*.  But when 12 laptops (or iOS)
have connected to WiFi, and one of these Android WiFi connections happens
to drop, it will not be able to reconnect to WiFi -- until one of the 12
laptops (or iOS) disconnects.  Baffling that DHCP issues more than 12 IP
simultaneous IP addresses in these exceptional cases, when Android has
snuck in connecting early on.

Other OS's (Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS) however do not demonstrate Android's
unusual/sneaky/resilient behavior.  In any case, this Android curiosity
(however tantalizing, no idea how Android's apparently able to circumvent
the "max 12" limit) does not solve the larger/general problem of supporting
all OS's!

Any other angles of attack??

Beyond that number of users, one should anyway consider a router.