[Server-devel] are NUC5i3RYH & NUC6i3SYH really limited to 12 WiFi clients??

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Aug 26 18:11:17 EDT 2016

Tim Moody & I tested maximum WiFi clients on the 5th and 6th generation i3
Intel NUC's, extensively confirming this with CentOS 7.2 in different
locations (to be 100% sure radio congestion was not causing this!)

We were very surprised (and a bit shocked!) that even the little RPi3,
which tested to serve 32 simultaneous WiFi clients from its own internal
WiFi Access Point (AP), far outperformed the pricier/bigger Intel NUC's
internal AP's here.

Does anyone know if there might be any kind of a soft-limit within CentOS
or its included (Intel presumably) WiFi drivers?  Ideally expandable to
many more simultaneous WiFi client machines?  These are the internal 2 WiFi
modules in question:

  http://ark.intel.com/products/83257/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5i3RYH contains:
  IntelĀ® Wireless-AC 7265 + BT 4.2

  http://ark.intel.com/products/89189/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i3SYH contains:
  IntelĀ® Wireless-AC 8260 + BT 4.2

We have many more of this latter 6th generation NUC in circulation (i.e.
newer, higher-performance WiFi module 8260).  FWIW most of these NUC's had
May/June firmware SY0045.bio installed in late spring 2016, but have now
been upgraded to the brand new early August firmware SY0051.bio:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26195/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-

Adam

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !