[Server-devel] [XSCE] Intel NUC Celeron 5th Generation

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Apr 8 15:53:02 EDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 3:57 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> Hi, Anish
>
> I didn't although it was one of the available options and less expensive.
> The newer 'sixth generation' should be both faster and lower in power
> consumption being based on a a new reduction in line-width. I have a 2820
> which is deployed. The biggest problem there was overcoming the uefi
> scam. George finally came up with the right solution - ignore it.

Just a warning about Intel's 6th gen, still afflicted by WHEA errors even
with the latest 0039 BIOS -- Intel is at last becoming more forthright
about the problem now under public pressure -- posting a real update today,
and promising a follow-up by April 15:
http://nucblog.net/2016/04/skylake-i3-and-i5-nuc-whea-errors/

And for the sky-is-falling tabloids & Cassandras, here's the money headline:

"It seems that if your NUC exhibits these problems (frequent crashes with
WHEA errors) it has already reached the point of no return. In that case
you need to return the NUC to Intel for repair."

Tony