[Server-devel] [UKids] Amzn Fire Sale No More: pricing rises 86% !

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Nov 30 09:21:03 EST 2015

On Nov 30, 2015 8:45 AM, "Sora Edwards-Thro" <sora at unleashkids.org> wrote:

> Price has gone up to $49.99 for Prime members, as far as I can tell.
That's a 43% increase over the Black Friday $34.99 deal, not 86% or double.

FWIW "$64.99 Amazon Prime without special offers" is Amazon's very own
language, an 86% rise over the price-for-everyone on many recent days.

If they're going to Fire up the Christmas hype machine, we should honor
their offering for what it is (unlockable for now, long term unclear).  But
suppliers also need to man up and face the consequences when they pull the
rug out from sincere edutech communities.

There are state laws to protect people from constantly changing pricing,
arbitrarily limiting quantities (and hiding limiting quantities, unlike
traditional retailers which are more forthcoming than Amazon, warning
consumers in their fliers that there will be limited quantities).  And
similar anticompetitive practices in the face of modern consumer protection.

Amazon knows the Attorneys General of all 50 states extremely well, who may
(or may not, given lobbyists are well known for buying off Attorneys
General) protect US buyers anyway, from such big dataveillance
shenanigans...