[Server-devel] [XSCE] USB adapter handling in XSCE 6.0 (PR501)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Nov 22 15:12:50 EST 2015

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 10:09:53AM -0500, Adam Holt wrote:
> Tom Gilliard!
>
> Can you possibly test his below?  Or let us know if ur busy!
>
> From: Tim Moody <[1]tim at timmoody.com>
> Date: Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 9:40 AM
> Subject: RE: Latest XSCE version
>
> you read my mind; I was thinking it was time to turn to this.
>
> this would have to be on a xo-1.5 on 13.2.5

OLPC OS isn't designed for general use with a variety of USB wireless
devices; to save disk space we remove most support.

Should you wish to bring this back, build a new kernel with the
support restored.

> I have multiple ethernet dongles and a wifi dongle reputed to work as a hostap
> but not tried (when I plugged it in it got listed under ip addr, but there is
> an error about request for firmware failed.)

And for many modern USB wireless devices, you may also require an
updated kernel and firmware package.

And hostap support may need adding.

Sounds like lots of fun!

--