[Server-devel] Two (minimal) goals for a kernel for XO1.5 based upon fc22?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu May 28 09:17:46 EDT 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:01:10PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:05 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > The v4.1-rc5 kernel boots fine on XO-1.5, though there are a few
> > things to be fixed; screen blanks on boot, camera LED stays on and
> > camera doesn't work, temperature of CPU is not accessible, and suspend
> > fails to complete.  Some of these probably my haste.
>
> Even more awesome, some of these are probably missing or changed
> kernel options. Some of those kernel bits have changed a lot upstream.
>
> > This meets George's requirements.
> >
> > The patch relative to v4.1-rc5:
> > http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/y/1YxsfX.txt
>
> Do we have a 4.1 branch in the olpc-kernel git repo yet?

Yes, I've pulled from Linus master into olpc-kernel master, then
created branch olpc-4.1 and applied my first patch.

http://dev.laptop.org/git/olpc-kernel/
http://dev.laptop.org/git/olpc-kernel/commit/?h=olpc-4.1&id=48f0337b26e80b6fe5df63daf2165af435698000

Added you to group for access to olpc-kernel.

Repository path is crank.laptop.org:/git/olpc-kernel

> Is it worth
> it or would it be worthwhile me setting up one against the Fedora
> upstream to allow us to more easily work there, rebase etc?

Welcome to host a copy there, but I've no idea how to access it.

> > The boot dmesg:
> > http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/z/1Yxsg9.txt
> >
> > You might take your favourite Fedora 22 kernel, apply that patch,
> > fixing any conflicts, reconfigure the kernel, and build.
> >
> > Or you might compare the xo_1.5_defconfig against the Fedora 22 kernel
> > .config.
>
> I'm happy to help there.

Great.

> > If you guys can help test and fix these apparently minor problems,
> > then I can pull upstream into olpc-kernel repository and make a later
> > branch.
>
> Can we setup a git branch sooner rather than later as a central place
> to pull the latest and greatest from.
>
> > Chances are it would work fine with XO-1 too, with a bit of
> > configuration merging.
>
> Happy to help there. We likely need to rebase a few patches for camera
> modules etc from the older branches, happy to help there where
> possible.

Yes, there's a siv121c camera in x86-3.3 that will have to be
ported; and maybe upstreamed, though it is an ugly copy.  ;-)

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:01:58PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> BTW is the F-22 + 4.1rc5 kernel image somewhere to pull and test with?

4.1rc5 is now olpc-4.1 on olpc-kernel.  Can't speak for F-22.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/