[Server-devel] Two (minimal) goals for a kernel for XO1.5 based upon fc22?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu May 28 07:01:10 EDT 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:05 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> The v4.1-rc5 kernel boots fine on XO-1.5, though there are a few
> things to be fixed; screen blanks on boot, camera LED stays on and
> camera doesn't work, temperature of CPU is not accessible, and suspend
> fails to complete.  Some of these probably my haste.

Even more awesome, some of these are probably missing or changed
kernel options. Some of those kernel bits have changed a lot upstream.

> This meets George's requirements.
>
> The patch relative to v4.1-rc5:
> http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/y/1YxsfX.txt

Do we have a 4.1 branch in the olpc-kernel git repo yet? Is it worth
it or would it be worthwhile me setting up one against the Fedora
upstream to allow us to more easily work there, rebase etc?

> The boot dmesg:
> http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/z/1Yxsg9.txt
>
> You might take your favourite Fedora 22 kernel, apply that patch,
> fixing any conflicts, reconfigure the kernel, and build.
>
> Or you might compare the xo_1.5_defconfig against the Fedora 22 kernel
> .config.

I'm happy to help there.

> If you guys can help test and fix these apparently minor problems,
> then I can pull upstream into olpc-kernel repository and make a later
> branch.

Can we setup a git branch sooner rather than later as a central place
to pull the latest and greatest from.

> Chances are it would work fine with XO-1 too, with a bit of
> configuration merging.

Happy to help there. We likely need to rebase a few patches for camera
modules etc from the older branches, happy to help there where
possible.

> However, this doesn't help with XO-1.75 and XO-4, which are still just
> as large a job as they ever were.  ;-{  x86 is so easy.

I've got a possible route for the 1.75 as mentioned above, once we get
a 4.1 branch I can add that and see how much further on we can get
with that. XO-4 on the other hand, as you mention, is a massive job!
:-(

Peter