[Server-devel] [UKids] Re: "XOs cannot act as WiFi access points"

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Mar 16 22:42:35 EDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:36 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 09:30:30PM -0500, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> > On March 16, 2015 at 9:23 PM James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > There's no need to go as far as configuring as an access point when
> > > ad-hoc networking will work, with suitable configuration of the other
> > > laptops connecting to it.
> >
> > Has sugar addressed http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/3708?
>
> Why would you use Sugar?

We'd love to keep some/any version of Sugar on the XO if possible, even if
just so the librarian can putter.

Important: how compatible is the XO's Ad-Hoc networking with generic
Android tablets/phones and generic/vintage cheap laptops already out there
in the world?  Any other low-to-medium complexity protocols we should be
considering, for XO-1.5 and higher especially, that might plausibly sail
with a few weeks of hacking?  (that is if a genuine WiFi hotspot brings
more compatibility)

Anyway: scalability's not a requirement (in this case!) as such community
libraries are tiny, having a couple WiFi devices attached generally, rarely
more.