[Server-devel] laptops as servers

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon Mar 2 02:51:32 EST 2015

Hi,

I am using a laptop as my development server system (Gateway LT0004U). I
replaced the 320GB drive with a 1TB drive.

Given the issue with UEFI, I am warming to the idea of deploying a
laptop as the server. So I googled (duckduckandwent?) and found:

Lot 5 Dell Latitude D620 Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB 80GB XP Pro for $550 at
http://www.computerrefurb.com/. On Amazon, the tried-and-true

WD Blue 1 TB Mobile Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, 5400 RPM, SATA II, 8 MB Cache
- WD10JPV at $60. This means five school servers at $170 each!

While I am concerned that someone will try to use the server as a client
system - this shouldn't be a problem. First, the installed software does
only supports a command line interface. Second, after the system is
booted up (detected by the ability to connect), the lid can be closed
and it continues to work. A laptop provides its own monitor and keyboard
for the sofware installation and includes a built-in UPS.

Interesting.

Tony