[Server-devel] XO1.5 as Access Point using thinfirm

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:45:58 EDT 2015

Thanks to James Cameron's work on FC22 kernel, I have an image of XSCE
running in an SD card on an XO1.5.

The regular libertas driver works as a client.

There is documentation for using a special driver, and special firmware at

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Libertas_Thinfirmware_HOWTO:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_Report

Which I have attempted to follow. I have added config items(below) and
created a new kernel.
Questions;

   1. The libertas_tf module loads via modprobe (after rmmod libertas
   cfg80211) Does this mean that it has found the firmware?
   2. After blacklisting libertas, and a reboot, there is a new device
   sit0, which may indicate that the proper network driver is not being
   found/loaded.(dmesg is quiet about libertastf)
   3. Are there incompatabilities between libertas_sdio and libertas_usb --
   should it be one or the other?

CONFIG_LIBERTAS_THINFIRM=m
CONFIG_LIBERTAS=m
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_USB=m
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_SDIO=m
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_MESH=y
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
CONFIG_MAC80211=m
CONFIG_MAC80211_HAS_RC=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_MINSTREL=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_MINSTREL_HT=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_DEFAULT_MINSTREL=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_DEFAULT="minstrel_ht"
CONFIG_MAC80211_LEDS=y