[Server-devel] [UKids] Re: [XSCE] Re: ext2 vs ext4 vs exFAT for XO content SD cards?

Emmanuel Engelhart kelson at kiwix.org
Mon Aug 17 02:26:23 EDT 2015

On 17.08.2015 07:16, Anish Mangal wrote:
> Just to chime in, as has been already noted the max file size on a FAT32
> system is 4GB. Some of the files we deal with are much larger than that.
> Ex. the Zim files for TED talks etc. are 8GB+ in size. Now we could
> always break them into smaller chunks, but that is another step.

ZIM files can be splitted in chunks (like in ou "portable versions").
Concerning Kiwix, the only point which stops us to say FAT32 is (still)
the best filesystem is that in case of Wikipedia in English, the
fullsearch text index (a directory) contains files which are over the
4GB limit (and there is not easy way to split them).

As a consequence, on the Kiwix side, our conclusion was that ext4 is the
best solution for our kiwix-plugs servers (we control the OS) and exfat
otherwise.

Emmanuel

--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more