[Server-devel] [UKids] Re: [XSCE] Tilestache on XSCE stack (OSM offline)

Jérôme Gagnon-Voyer gagnonje at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 13:18:06 EDT 2015

I see i see, so the disk space can't be exactly compared to what we see in
.mbtiles, since if you had to transfer that to another server and did not
want to do rendering on fly, this would be a different file size (much
bigger).

Thanks

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Anish Mangal <anishmangal2002 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just used the default settings in renderd. As far as I know, I didn't
> generate any png or jpg tiles, only metatiles were generated, which are
> renderd as png on the fly.
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 8:10 PM, Jérôme Gagnon-Voyer <gagnonje at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Anish
>>
>> Regarding file size
>>
>> Would you mind sharing how you generated those tiles? Like the settings
>> used, if its PNG 8 bit, full png or JPG, metatiles size, style used, etc...
>>
>> I'll be sending you and Tim in separate email the link to download the
>> .mbtiles file
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Anish Mangal <anishmg at umich.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Here is the data
>>> size  zoom
>>>  28K     0
>>>  48K     1
>>>  80K     2
>>> 184K     3
>>> 340K     4
>>> 788K     5
>>> 2.1M     6
>>> 5.8M     7
>>>  19M     8
>>>  58M     9
>>> 188M    10
>>> 673M    11
>>>  17M    12
>>>  54M    13
>>> 134M    14
>>> 375M    15
>>> 1.1G    16
>>> 3.0G    17
>>> 9.6G    18
>>>
>>> As is obvious, for zoom levels 0-11 I had generated tiles for the entire
>>> world, which was essentially empty tiles except the shape of continents
>>> since the only data source I used was the nepal osm data
>>>
>>> Zoom level 12 and onwards, tiles were generated only for nepal.
>>>
>>> The bigger question i'd be asking is the setup required to generate
>>> tiles, and what it would take to do for the entire planet. I guess Braddock
>>> would be happy to give access to Jerome on hadron if he wants to give it a
>>> try. It is a machine with a 500G SSD and 32G RAM and an 8 core processor.

Jérôme Gagnon-Voyer