[Server-devel] Towards CentOS "7.1" on ARM?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Apr 23 17:35:09 EDT 2015

hi,

On 23/04/15 20:36, Adam Holt wrote:
> Not really 7.1 but the 2nd release of CentOS 7 sure has an ugly name!
> http://seven.centos.org/2015/03/centos-7-1503-is-released/
>
> Jim Perrin cites some progress getting CentOS running on ARM -- does
> this help us yet?
> http://seven.centos.org/2015/03/building-centos-linux-7-for-armv8/
> http://seven.centos.org/2015/03/centos-linux-7-and-arm/
>
> Does Jon Nettleton have a better strategy entirely?

I work with Jim on the CentOS project. If there is anything I can help
with, please feel free to reach out.

In terms of the ARM effort, there are 2 parallel threads at the moment.
We have a community centric ARMv7 build in progress. the aim there is to
target about 20 odd mainstream boards, completely community driven.

The second is an ARMv8 effort, targeting aarch64 initially. And this has
a fair bit of vendor involvement ( silicon / board / server unit
suppliers ) - with some community engagement. the primary issue driving
this is that there is very little, if any, commodity 64bit ARM based
hardware available these days - so we rely on some of the manufacturers
to come and help ensure their hardware is going to work etc.

Regards,

--
Karanbir Singh