[Server-devel] Fwd: [XSCE] UEFI workaround?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Oct 31 14:30:36 EDT 2014

From: Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
Date: Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: [XSCE] UEFI workaround?
To: xsce-devel at googlegroups.com

Hi,

My head is still bloody banging against the brick wall.

I shipped the NUC 3401 to Nick, he should receive it today. (4gb memory,
1TB drive)

I can reliably create a usb stick from BERNIE to install XS (NEXS v31) on
systems which have a traditional bios. This scheme does not work on systems
with UEFI firmware. Microsoft requires
UEFI firmware for systems certified for Windows 8, so solving this problem
is unavoidable.

The Zotac uses AMI firmware while the NUC 2820 and Gigabyte apparently use
the Intel firmware.
With the Intel firmware, there is a legacy mode. It also allows the hard
drive to be installed from the
usb stick. However, the system will not boot to the hard drive. So the next
step is to try the boot
in legacy mode. Another option is to upgrade the bootloader to Grub2 which
supports uefi. The
third step is to build an iso which installs a Grub2 bootloader. In the
longer run, NEXS needs to be
upgraded to CentOS 6.6 (32-bit) or, more ambitiously, to CentOS 7 (64-bit).

The Zotac symptom I have also seen with bios systems and I think is really
a kickstart issue. If
the install is to a new drive, the usb stick is /dev/sda and the hard drive
is /dev/sdb. However, if the
drive has been partitioned (e.g. when I am installing a new version over an
old one), the hard drive
is /dev/sda and the usb stick is /dev/sdb. I have created two versions of
ks.cfg, one for each case.
However, this is not working for the Zotac which reports that there is not
enough space on the hard drive instead of re-partitioning.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tony