[Server-devel] UEFI workaround?

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Fri Oct 31 13:15:25 EDT 2014

If at all possible, the first thing to do is disable secure uefi boot.

The only distro that I've found has out of the box support for secure
boot is the Ubuntu family. Maybe there are others.

Some firmwares don't support legacy boot anymore, so even unsecured,
they need to boot using UEFI (make sure you install the proper
bootloader).

I've succeeded with Archlinux, and had to learn all about EFI booting.
I recommend this step to Tony, then he can apply the knowledge to
fedora. They have pretty good docs:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI

It's possible to install a fedora chroot under any system, but it's not
ideal.

Governments and deployments should really know better than buying
crippled hardware. Perhaps this is an area where this community could
produce formal recommendations that we would distribute to the people
on charge of buying the hardware. It should really be a policy and even
law.

--
Sebastian Silva
"icarito" #sugar #somosazucar (freenode IRC)

"Las maestras y los maestros democráticos intervenimos en el mundo a
través del cultivo de la curiosidad" - P.Freire