[Server-devel] [XSCE] xovis on the XSCE 5.0

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Jun 24 13:47:52 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:38 AM, Martin Dluhos <martin at gnu.org> wrote:
> On 06/17/2014 08:49 PM, Sameer Verma wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 1:11 AM, Martin Dluhos <martin at gnu.org> wrote:
>>> When installing with install_xovis.sh script, the script will output the command
>>> that you need to run. Since the db was created using an admin account, you need
>>> to pass the 'server' flag to the command including the couch credentials:
>>>
>>> ./process_journal_stats.py dbinsert xovis --deployment olpc --server
>>> http://admin:admin@127.0.0.1:5984
>>>

>> That works! https://twitter.com/sameerverma/status/478970452757327874
>
> Very nice!

So, here are some observations:

XSCE should pull to get the latest from xovis (Tim Moody has already
written about this). I don't see the add deployment [+] button and
spider charts on the XSCE version.

Add methods to pull from sugar-stats (currently stores data in RRD
format, but rrdtool does the export in versions 1.4.6 and above) and
harvest (already has serialized json). Also add methods to read from
Sugar backups done using the Backup activity. Many smaller projects
have backups done by hand.

We'll need some auth layer above xovis. If it's on XSCE, then XSCE
should handle this, but if not, there should be some basic auth
mechanism to do roles/permissions for teacher, principal, etc.

Resolve the userid:password for couchdb (instead of admin:admin) in
ansible, so it installs with an account other than admin.

A way to edit out the "OLENepal" header from all charts.

Maybe we spin a VM with CentOS and xovis (call it the visualizer!)
where you can plug in a USB stick or external drive with backups, and
visualize.

Some basic documentation on the use of xovis and interpretation of
data for teachers, principals, etc.

Something that's quite popular with many similar projects (deployment
of several mobile computers) is "How many laptops showed up at school
today?". There are a few different ways this can be done (dhcp log,
Journal data), but I'd like to discuss this a bit more.

I'll post more as I think of other ideas.

cheers,
Sameer