[Server-devel] [XSCE] sugarstats and xovis

Martin Abente martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 00:32:32 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> From what I understand, sugar-stats runs at the dbus level as opposed
> >> to the Journal metadata, which pulls data from the Journal backups.
> >> xovis relies on data that it can get as json, pushed into couchdb. So,
> >> while right now xovis uses json from Journal backups, it could be
> >> modified to do so from the RRD files that sugar-stats produces. That
> >> said, the data collected by sugar-stats is different, and needs to be
> >> filtered accordingly before it can be used sensibly by xovis.
> >

> > And there is the Harvest system, which for the most part relies on data
> in
> > Journal.
> >

> Yes, in fact we had conversations with Martin Abente about Harvest,
> and the possibility that the Harvest data could be serialized (json)
> and pushed into xovis. Are there any samples of Harvest data that we
> can look at some place?

Hello Sameer,

The harvest-client serializes (using json) a subset of journal-objects
metadata and then sends it to the harvest-server, which is basically a
web-service plus a MySQL back-end.

I need to update this documentation [1] (will do this tomorrow early), but
you can get an idea of what fields are used. If you need an example of the
serialized format for the client-server communication you can look at [2].
The bits that handle the serialization process can be found here [3], which
is meant to be read.

Regards,
Martin.

Refs: