[Server-devel] Recommended base for XSCE 5.

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Jun 19 23:10:22 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The docs I've looked at so far aren't clear on the OS base for XSCE 5.
>>
>> Does it need F20 or will it work on F18?
>

> Fedora 18 support is solid.  Fedora 20 support's coming but not entirely
> there yet (others will hopefully prove me wrong on this last bit ;)

Yeah, but Fedora 18 itself is dead. I've always been unhappy with
using Fedora as a server OS, even if the server lives offline. It's
too unstable a target for server builds. Just building a new image
tends to be problematic because the dependencies and updates tend to
disappear. We had a bunch of problems building XS 0.6 back when it was
based on F9, I think, after F9 died. XS 0.7 on the other hand is
supported on CentOS6.x and that has been rock solid.  Sadly, CentOS
does not do ARM (yet).

cheers,
Sameer