[Server-devel] [XSCE] wvdial

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Jun 8 18:43:03 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 08, 2014 at 03:33:44PM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2014 3:27 PM, "James Cameron" <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:42:25AM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> > > Anybody have on the ground experience with wvdial to run a USB
> > > modem directly from the school server?
> >
> > No on the ground experience with the school server.
> >
> > > Does XSCE 0.5 have anything built-in?
> >
> > wvdial gets me nothing that pppd and Network Manager don't already
> > do better.  Packages ppp and NetworkManager.  Should be there
> > now.  Plug the modem in and try to create a connection in the UI.
>
> From what I understand, XSCE build do not have a native GUI. Not
> sure how nm would work in this config.

Use a GUI on another system to make a connection with the modem, check
the system connection box, then copy the connection file in
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ to the target XSCE system.

Restart Network Manager and attach the USB modem, and the connection
may start.  Diagnose with logs in /var/logs.

Can manually control with nmcli shell command.

List the devices managed by NetworkManager
# nmcli dev

List the connections
# nmcli con

Start a connection
# nmcli con up id <id>

Or temporarily start the GUI on XSCE and then turn it off afterwards.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/