[Server-devel] CentOS 7.0 Released, 3 years after CentOS 6.0

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sun Jul 20 15:09:58 EDT 2014

On 07/20/2014 01:33 PM, Adam Holt wrote:
> Is it time to consider this industrial-strength OS, promising "full
> updates til Q4 2020" and 10 yrs of "maintenance updates til 30 June
> 2024" ?
>
>    http://CentOS.org
>    http://wiki.CentOS.org/Download
>
> Or do we consider alternatives, reflecting complaints CentOS is no
> longer sufficiently community-driven ??
>
>    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7998698
>
> We're certainly at a very unique moment in time suddenly.  In Haiti,
> quite a number of high schools are moving to Linux Mint 17 LTS based
> on Ubuntu 14.04, with laptop security updates promised until "April
> 2019", for similar reasons (rich countries may tolerate it, but
> developing world schools have had Quite Enough of the Fedora-like
> upgrade treadmill pushed upon them by self-interested Silicon Valley
> types..)

I can assure you that CentOS is community driven.  The entire CentOS 7
building and release process is open to the community via:

http://seven.centos.org/

All the build/root logs and even all the QA was open via:

http://buildlogs.centos.org/

(the actual mock configs, build repos, etc. are available there in the
c7* directories while the QA builds are in the centos/ directory)

Everything done for CentOS 7 was completely open to the community from
start to finish ... no other Enterprise distro is currently operating
with this kind of community openness.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes