[Server-devel] [XSCE] xovis on the XSCE 5.0

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Jul 9 12:20:28 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 7:45 AM, Martin Dluhos <martin at gnu.org> wrote:
> On 06/24/2014 07:47 PM, Sameer Verma wrote:
>> So, here are some observations:
>
> Thanks for the feedback, Sameer! Tim already addressed many of the things you
> point out in the latest xovis pull request, which has been merged into master
> (https://github.com/XSCE/xsce/pull/145). My comments follow inline.
>
>> XSCE should pull to get the latest from xovis (Tim Moody has already
>> written about this). I don't see the add deployment [+] button and
>> spider charts on the XSCE version.
>
> Fixed in #145.

I'll pull and take a look.

>> Add methods to pull from sugar-stats (currently stores data in RRD
>> format, but rrdtool does the export in versions 1.4.6 and above) and
>> harvest (already has serialized json).
>
> Yes, that would be very useful.

Anish Mangal and I have some data from Bhagmalpur, India is a RRD
format. We'll try to fiddle with it and see how the RRD to json goes.

>> Also add methods to read from
>> Sugar backups done using the Backup activity. Many smaller projects
>> have backups done by hand.
>
> Are you talking about projects, which do not use a server at all? If there is a
> server, one can always run a ds-backup.

True, but there are several projects that don't have a XS or XSCE, and
have collected backups via the Backup activity. I have some samples if
you want to take a peek.

>> Resolve the userid:password for couchdb (instead of admin:admin) in
>> ansible, so it installs with an account other than admin.
>>
>> A way to edit out the "OLENepal" header from all charts.
>
> Both handled in #145.

Great!

>> Maybe we spin a VM with CentOS and xovis (call it the visualizer!)
>> where you can plug in a USB stick or external drive with backups, and
>> visualize.
>
> I've just added the backup directory as an ansible variable.
>
>> Some basic documentation on the use of xovis and interpretation of
>> data for teachers, principals, etc.
>
> Perhaps a 'help' page?

+1