[Server-devel] [XSCE] sugarstats and xovis

Martin Dluhos martin at gnu.org
Thu Jul 3 05:26:38 EDT 2014

On 06/27/2014 02:10 PM, Martin Abente wrote:
> Hello Martin!
>
> Do you have documentation on how XOvis pipeline works? I would like to see how
> it works after the data is store and the visualization is generated.

Here is a simple graphic that illustrates the workflow:

http://i.imgur.com/Xhy1Vx3.jpg

XOvis is a Couch application, which means that it's also stored in the db along
with the journal metadata. It queries the db using map-reduce queries, which you
can see here:

https://github.com/martasd/xovis/blob/master/lib/views.js

> Writing a tool to export the metadata from Harvest-server to a compatible subset
> in the visualization-ready format of XOvis, would be cheaper in development
> cost, but more expensive in running time (with large datasets). The other way
> around, would be to allow XOvis read directly from Harvest-server MySQL format.

Since transferring metadata into the db needs to be done only once, running time
has never been a major concern. How large are the datasets you've collected on
the Harvest-server?

Cheers,
Martin