[Server-devel] [XSCE] xo registration on xsce

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jul 1 01:00:12 EDT 2014

You mention an XO-1.5 in particular, does the problem follow that
laptop, or model?

Which version of XSCE?

Why is it unable to register; what makes you think that?  Is there
some message, some log file, some evidence?

The critical piece of code can be found here:
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jarabe/desktop/schoolserver.py

The code is unchanged between 12.1.0 and 13.2.0, apart from an API
change for GConf.

The code has many ways to fail, and can say many things in an error
message.

Pointless speculating what you might have done to break it.  You need
to capture more information to find out why it has failed.  Look for
the Sugar shell log, in /home/olpc/.sugar/default/logs/

Or divide the problem; test the network connection and school server
response first; e.g. does the laptop resolve the schoolserver{,.lan}
name at a shell prompt?  Does the laptop make any connection at all?

For example:

	wget http://schoolserver:8080/

You might also capture the packets seen by the server.

	tcpdump -i ethN port 53 or port 8080

where ethN is the network interface facing the laptop.

See also ticket #12730, in case your third-party school server is not
implementing DNS in the same way as the OLPC XS school server.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/