[Server-devel] VT MP02

Tim Moody tim at timmoody.com
Mon Jan 13 09:47:52 EST 2014

I set up 3 Village Telco MP02 units for Haiti:

Configuration
•    Set wired nic ipv4 on my pc to 10.130.1.99, mask 255.255.255.0
•    Connect cable to MP02
•    Access configuration page at http://10.130.1.20
•    Take Advanced Firmware to update firmware (currently openwrt-MP02-RC3d-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin) at http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/unstable/mp02/SECN-2.0/SECN-2.0-RC3d/.  As recommended I chose No on preserve settings, which is why I did the firmware first.
•    There area a lot of choices on firmware and I don’t have a clear view of which is best.  I chose the most generic.
•    After the device reboots take Advanced
•    Set ip address to 172.18.126.101 (102, 103), netmask 255.255.224.0
•    Set gateway and dns to 172.18.96.1
•    Set SSID (I chose 1schoolap to put at top of sort sequence)
•    Clear or Set Wifi passphrase and set appropriate Encryption
•    I didn’t change Wifi Channel or number of connections at this point.
•    I disabled mesh, asterisk, and dhcp server.
•    save – the page returns with settings saved but not active
•    reboot – now settings are active and the page is at 172.18.126.101

Setup SNMP (spoiler alert didn’t quite work)
•    telnet to 172.18.126.101(2,3) – out of the box telnet (not ssh) works with no password
•    opkg update - does not work because unzip package is missing (it is supposed to download Packages.gz, unzip and copy to /var/opkg-lists/snapshots)
•    instead wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/Packages
•    cp Packages /var/opkg-lists/snapshots
•    now can opkg install snmpd or mini_snmpd (latter recommended, but for me not yet working)
•    I configured munin on xsce to poll the device for traffic and other stats.  I got data with snmpd installed, configured, and running, but not with mini_snmpd (need to play some more)
•    anecdotally, top on the VT MP02 shows about 2% cpu for snmpd, but on an xo4 reading the data looked to be 25% and more to create graphs.  I hope to improve this with mini-snmpd.

Tim