[Server-devel] [Sugar-devel] The quest for data

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Fri Jan 10 01:10:28 EST 2014

Sorry for being late to the party. Clearly the "quest for data" is a
commonly shared one, with many different approaches, questions, and
reporting/results.

One of the already mentioned solutions is the sugar-stats package,
originally developed by Aleksey, which have now been part of dextrose-sugar
builds for over a year, and the server side (xsce).

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Usage_Statistics

The approach we followed was to collect as much data as possible without
interfering with sugar-apis or code. The project has made slow progress on
the visualization front, but the data collection front has already been
field tested.

I for one think there are a few technical trade-offs, which lead to larger
strategy decisions:
* Context v/s Universality ... Ideally we'd like to collect (activity)
context specific data, but that requires tinkering with the sugar api
itself and each activity. The other side is we might be ignoring the other
types of data a server might be collecting ... internet usage and the
various other logfiles in /var/log

* Static v/s Dynamic ... Analyzing journal backups is great, but they are
ultimately limited in time resolution due to the datastore's design itself.
So the key question being "what's valuable?" ... a) Frequency counts of
activities? b) Data such as upto the minute resolution of what activities
are running, which activity is active (visible & when), collaborators over
time ... etc ...

In my humble opinion, the next steps could be:
1 Get better on the visualization front.
2 Search for more context. Maybe arm the sugar-datastore to collect higher
resolution data.