[Server-devel] [Sugar-devel] The quest for data

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Jan 6 14:51:08 EST 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Andreas Gros <andigros72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Great utilization of CouchDB and its views feature! That's definitely
> something we can build on. But more importantly, to make this meaningful, we
> need more data.

I like this approach as well because the aggregation is offloaded to
CouchDB through views and reduce/rereduce so we can have a fairly
independent choice of Javascript-based visualization frontend, be it
Google Charts (https://developers.google.com/chart/) or D3.js
(http://d3js.org/).

> It's good to know what the activities are that are used most, so one can
> come up with a priority list for improvements, and/or focus developer
> attention.
> CouchDB allows to pull data together from different instances, which should
> make aggregation and comparisons between projects possible. And for projects
> that are not online, the data could be transferred to a USB stick quite
> easily and then uploaded to any other DB instance.

True. CouchDB will allow for aggregation across classes, schools,
districts, etc. Depending on the willingness of participation of
different projects, we can certainly go cross-project. Even if these
views are not made public, they will be useful. For instance, I would
love to compare my Jamaica projects with my India projects with my
Madagascar projects.

> Is there a task/todo list somewhere?

Not that I know of, but we can always start one on the sugarlabs wiki.
Anybody have suggestions?

Sameer