[Server-devel] [XSCE] Large groups of XO-1 do not work with access points

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Feb 7 00:08:29 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 05:09:47PM -0500, Tim Moody wrote:
> James wrote:
> >The XO-1 will consume more of the available bandwidth than an XO-1.5
> >or later, because each XO-1 continually transmits mesh beacons even if
> >mesh is not in use.  Each XO-1 also responds to every scan (probe
> >request) by every other laptop.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by 'even if mesh is not in use'.  Do you
> mean even if it has been explicitly turned off with echo 0 >
> /sys/class/net/eth0/lbs_mesh?

No.  What I mean by "even if mesh is not in use", is "even if a mesh
network icon has not been selected by the user, and has not been
automatically selected by Sugar, and the laptop is associated with an
access point".

Disabling the mesh using /sys/class/net/eth0/lbs_mesh does prevent the
409.6ms beacons.  This is easily demonstrated using monitor mode and
tcpdump.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/