[Server-devel] Initial configuration for XSCE 5.0

Santiago Rodríguez scollazo at activitycentral.com
Thu Feb 6 15:57:41 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM, German Ruiz - FundacionZT <
gruiz at fundacionzt.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying XSCE 5.0 on a pc box today
>
> <...>
>
> I have a few questions about the configuration, we configure our XS in
> Nicaragua like this:
>
> - Set hostname.
> On XS 0.7 was
> # xs-setup schoolserver.escuela.managua.fzt.org
> # reboot
> On XSCE?

Two ways come to my mind:

  * run ./runansible <hostname>
  * edit  xsce.yml and change values for "xsce_hostname" and "xsce_domain",
and run ./runansible

> - Set static IP for WAN.
> On XS 0.7 was:
> edit this template /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1.
> On XSCE?

Edit the same file , where "eth1" is the WAN iface

> - Configure DHCP to disable internet access to non xo laptops.
> i founf this [0], which is similar to our configuration.

That will work, as we use the same dhcpd version.

> - Set DNS forwarders - to openDNS
> edit this config file /etc/named-xs.conf.in and set the dns forwarders
> {208.67.222.222; 208.67.220.220;};
> i found this[1], but when i want to run the command xs-domain-config, this
> is missing.

You need to add the following snippet:

    forward first;
    forwarders {
     208.67.222.222;
     208.67.220.220;
                 };

Under "  listen-on { any; }; " arround line 17,  in the /etc/named-xs.conf.

If you want to avoid losing your changes by running runansible again,  you
can also update the template used by ansible and placed in
roles/network/templates/named/named-xs.conf.j2 and then run the following
command to apply the change:

ansible-playbook -i ansible_hosts --connection=local xsce.yml --tags=named

I will open a bug in the xsce tracker, as this configuration option hasn't
been accounted for, and also have in mind that xsce provides dansguardian
as content filter tool.

Btw, I'm working towards a replacement for both, dhcpd and bind, using
dnsmasq, in order to minimize total memory/cpu footprint, as pointed
by jnettleton
in our irc channel.

/santi

> Thank you for all your help.