[Server-devel] [XSCE] Re: Weekly log rotation

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 01:56:13 EDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton at gmail.com>wrote:

> Does it work if you run /etc/cron.daily/logrotate by hand as root?

Nope:

[root at schoolserver] ~ >cd /etc/cron.daily/
[root at schoolserver] cron.daily >./logrotate
error: failed to open config file *: No such file or directory
error: found error in file *, skipping

So this is weird to see this in there:
[root at schoolserver] ~ >ls /etc/cron.daily/
etckeeper  logrotate  man-db.cron  mlocate.cron

[root at schoolserver] cron.daily >cat logrotate
#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
EXITVALUE=$?
if [ $EXITVALUE != 0 ]; then
    /usr/bin/logger -t logrotate "ALERT exited abnormally with [$EXITVALUE]"
fi
exit 0
[root at schoolserver] cron.daily >whereis logger
logger: /bin/logger /usr/bin/logger /usr/share/man/man1p/logger.1p.gz

And there's nothing here:

[root at schoolserver] ~ >ls /etc/cron.weekly/
[root at schoolserver] ~ >