[Server-devel] [XSCE] Re: Weekly log rotation

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 01:40:14 EDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton at gmail.com>wrote:

> What does your /etc/logrotate.conf look like?  One option for logrotate is
> to only rotate if the logs have reached a certain size.

My understanding was it was supposed to rotate weekly no matter what.

[root at schoolserver] ~ >cat /etc/logrotate.conf
# see "man logrotate" for details
# rotate log files weekly
weekly

# keep 4 weeks worth of backlogs
rotate 4

# create new (empty) log files after rotating old ones
create

# use date as a suffix of the rotated file
dateext

# uncomment this if you want your log files compressed
#compress

# RPM packages drop log rotation information into this directory
include /etc/logrotate.d

# no packages own wtmp and btmp -- we'll rotate them here
/var/log/wtmp {
    monthly
    create 0664 root utmp
minsize 1M
    rotate 1
}

/var/log/btmp {
    missingok
    monthly
    create 0600 root utmp
    rotate 1
}

# system-specific logs may be also be configured here.