[Server-devel] Squid caching on the XSCE AND AP's

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Sat Sep 14 23:18:50 EDT 2013

Hi Samuel,

Thx for pushing for more clarity, to be honest, this is very much an
experiment at this point. I don't have a single line of argument, but I'm
trying to look for ways in which things can be improved.

So the scenario is this:
* There is one central XSCE, which is providing the internet gateway, hosts
a ton of content on a large hard disk and provides many services.
* There are AP-nodes (consider one AP per classroom), which perform DHCP,
and facilitate "within the classroom" collaboration. That AP "might" also
be running a light xmpp server like prosody.
* AP's in mesh mode running SECN are potentially much easier to setup than
wired ethernet, so, for this experiment, consider that we're working with
AP's in mesh mode. To be more specific, consider that they are running SECN.

* The huge drawback of wireless over a wired network, is obviously the
network capacity that will be severely affected.

The hypothesis is this:
* Clients won't need the "main XS" for all their collaboration activities,
it will be handled by the AP at a classroom level.
* Clients will need to access the content present on the XS. A lot of it
could be similar looking content per class. So it might be beneficial to
have that cached much closer to the students.

i would like you to comment in both cases, if the XS <-> connection is
wired and wireless/mesh.

- - - -

To look at it from another perspective, the problem i want to analyze is
this. What are the critical path components in a XS infrastructure setup,
and is there room for making them:
* More efficient
* Easier to setup

Solutions would probably be tradeoffs between the two, but if there are
things that help address both those issues, that's even better.

Cheers,
Anish