[Server-devel] Dealing with huge xsce repo size

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Sun Sep 8 00:37:38 EDT 2013

Hi,

This is perhaps a very contentious topic, so I want to discuss with extreme
caution :-)

The size of the git repository for xsce is > 70MB
The actual size of the files is < 3MB

Now, I don't want to hurt anyone's sensibilities AT ALL here, but I feel
70MB is quite a huge size for a repo containing code worth only 3 MB. I
also feel it's a hindrance to keep code development nimble, making it
unnecessarily difficult for users to download large repos. (Remember, if
you're cloning a git repo, and you lose connectivity, you have to start
over).

Are there any thoughts we could improve the situation? Should it be
improved?

Best,
Anish