[Server-devel] Problems with the School Server and IIAB

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Thu Sep 5 09:49:47 EDT 2013

School Server Experts,

We are trying to deploy an Internet-in-a-Box (IIAB) network appliance
to an OLPC and XS school in Pakistan. (http://internet-in-a-box.org)

I need help getting them instructions so they can access the device
using their School Server XS 0.7

The IIAB appliance gets an DHCP lease on startup from their XS 0.7 server.

The IIAB appliance registers its name with the DHCP server as "know".

In THEORY, on the XS, dhcpd should register the name know with the
named DNS server (ddns-update-style is set in /etc/dhcpd-xs.conf on my
own XS installation).  Then students can access the IIAB appliance at
http://know

- From their reports, this appears to work initially, but after some
time (DHCP lease expires?) it stops working.

I'm looking for a simple solution to communicate to them to assign the
IIAB appliance a fixed IP address.  It is currently not (safely)
possible to configure the IIAB appliance for a static IP.  Then they
can just refer to it by IP.

I assume it should look something like:
host know {
     hardware ethernet 00:03:6D:00:83:CF;
     fixed-address 172.18.97.10;
}
added to /etc/dhcpd.conf

But with my very limited School Server experience I don't want to lead
them astray.

Any help appreciated.

- -braddock