[Server-devel] [XSCE] Re: [IIAB] SGVHAK and IIAB Meeting this Saturday afternoon 10/26

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 10:45:25 EDT 2013

Curt,

Checking the facts: You have a laptop, (what make and model), which has a
ethernet port, and a wifi adapter builtin. You want the wifi to act as AP.

If this is so, it's very similar to the situation we have with the
trimslice.  One issue is that the wifi chipset needs to be able to go into
"access point" mode. And the driver needs to be able to switch the hardware
into the AP mode.

The autoconfigure logic we wrote for XO's will not necessarily do the
correct things. So you will need to tell the network software how to
configure itselfr On the trimslice, I wound up needing to write
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-wlan0 files.

see
https://github.com/XSCE/xsce/blob/master/plugins.d/startup/files/bootstrap-ts
-- the here-documents around line 60 show what worked for me. In
addition
you will have to load and run hostapd daemon  to handle connections that
other wifi clients will be trying to make.

George